Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My sister passed away in a house fire on 12/29/17. I am

Customer Question
My sister passed away...

My sister passed away in a house fire on 12/29/17. I am going to file her income taxes soon. However In the instructions, it said an estate tax return may need to be filed. How do I determine if I have to file both?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Her estate really won't be much. Her home was burned and a total loss. Most of the insurance money will go to the mortgage company and the rest to her creditors.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 3 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

he final individual income tax return of your sister is prepared and filed in the same manner as when they were alive. All income up to the date of death must be reported and all credits and deductions to which she is entitled may be claimed. File the return using Form 1040 or, if she qualifies, one of the simpler forms in the 1040 series (Forms 1040-A or 1040-EZ).

Any income that was paid to your sister after she passed away would be for her estate. If that amount is $600 or more the form 1041 would be filed for her estate.

Please let me know if you need more information. Please accept my condolences.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.