Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have lost all my files for 2016. i have to know my AGI.

Customer Question
I have lost all...

I have lost all my files for 2016. i have to know my AGI. how can i get it.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Did them on line. but lost everything on comp.and i have to my AGI for 2016

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

My name and address.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
3/29/2018
Tax Professional: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 2 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

You can access your tax return transcript online at irs.gov. It will be in transcript form, meaning that you will not see the actual forms, just the line items and amounts that were entered. For your purposes, you would go to your 2016 tax return and look at lines 37 and 38. Those two lines should be identical and will show your AGI for that year.

The service is free. You have to sign up and go through a verification process that's a bit of a pain but once you have your user name and password ***** can access your information any time. Here's the instructions:

go to www.irs.gov > Get Your Tax record > Get Transcript Online

At this point you are informed that you will need to have the following information at hand to complete the process:

• your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return,
  • access to your email account,
  • your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan, and
  • a mobile phone with your name on the account.

You will be able to access your prior year tax returns for three years, and your wage and income records (W-2's, 1099's, etc.).

Hope that helped. If so please don't forget to rate this answer. You can always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. And thank you for using Just Answer.