Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband claimed me last year o his taxes. I was receiving…

My husband claimed me...

My husband claimed me last year o his taxes. I was receiving $2002.00 a mo. so I never filed a tax return cause they said I was below poverty level. this year they lowered my payment in 2018 to $1853.oo bcause they said I made over &200.000 a year which is because of my husband's job. when I asked my husband to pay me the diff.-$149 a mo.- because he gets all kinds of tax breaks he said NO! so I told him then don't claim me cause it's costing me money for my disability, which is used for my spending money. he gives me no money for clothes, food, hair, nails, groceries or household items. So 2 questions: do I need to file married/single so I my get back $149 and 2- is this the best way I can stop him from claiming me and costing ME money cause he's being such a douche!

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I have alot of medical bills, which he mostly pays, but otherwise I have no deductions.

3/29/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

Let me first clarify that spouse's can't claim other spouses as dependent. What your husband did was file married filing jointly. However, that is not the same as claiming you as a dependent. It is usually more beneficial for a married couple to file married filing jointly instead of married filing separately. The tax bracket is lower.

You can file married filing separately if you want to. You are not required to file married filing jointly. Keep in mind that if your husband files married filing jointly this year, you will not be able to file married filing separately.

----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

my main goal is to stop him from getting any tax deductions by using me, which caused {disability/medicare} to lower my disability from 2002 a mo. to 1853 this year saying I made too much money. I wouldn't care if he filed jointly if he would've given me the $148 that cost me in my disability ck. But since he won't I don't want him to GAIN anything from claiming me and costing me to get less disability.

The only thing that I suggest that you do is to file married filing separately before he files married filing jointly. If he does file married filing jointly, you can contact the IRS to let him know that he filed MFJ without your permission. There is really nothing else that you can do. A positive rating of 3 or more stars for assisting you is greatly appreciated.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
just a simple answer whether if I file married/ single will I be able to get back $149 a mo. they are now taking out cause it looks like I make way too much money when he claimed me last yr.

Married filing separately puts you in a higher tax bracket and I don't know what $149 a month that you are referring to.

I'm saying my disability ck. for the last 5 yrs. has been $2002.00 a mo. but was told this yr. I would get less disability per ck. $149.00 because my husband filed jointly last yr. so disability says I made $200,000 which is my HUSBAND'S salary. So he gets tax deductions, but I know get less disability.

I am not able to tell you whether or not disability will increase your amount or not if you file separately. What I do know is that the overall income would not be as much filing separately.