Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a taxpayer contributes to a Simple IRA through his W-2…

If a taxpayer contributes to...
If a taxpayer contributes to a Simple IRA through his W-2 employer, can he also contribute to that same Simple IRA as a shareholder in that 1120S corporation as a self-employed individual because of the K-1 form he receives?If he can't, what happens if they already did?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

The taxpayer is able to contribute through the W2 withholding and the employer may match that contribution or make a non elective contribution, but a contribution other than one of those two options is not allowed.

Please see below a direct excerpt from the IRS.Gov

"Eligible employee's may make a salary reduction contribution, (which the taxpayer did) and the employer must make either a:

• matching contribution or
  • nonelective contribution

No other contributions may be made under a SIMPLE IRA plan

____

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
I'm not sure if it is a Simple IRA. It is coded "F" on the w-2 which states elective deferrals under a section 408(k)(6) salary reduction SEP. However, the Form 5498 IRA contribution statement states plan type as "Simple" and the contributions listed under "Simple contributions". Could they possibly have it coded wrong? I'm thinking they probably prepare their own W-2 forms
Phone call session started