How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP® Your Own Question
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3055
Experience:  IRS Licensed Enrolled Agent, CDFA ® CFP ®, MBA
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP® is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am getting ready to file my taxes and I just recently

Customer Question

Hi. I am getting ready to file my taxes and I just recently found out that my kids father secretly claimed our son on his taxes. Our son lived with me solely for 10 and a half months out of the year and we both moved in with his father towards the end of the year in which I helped with bills and still was the primary caretaker. I currently receive financial aid for school which I’m worried it’s going to get taken away from me if I’m not able to claim him. Is there anything I can do or is it too late?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Nothing else.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP® replied 7 months ago.


My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thank you.
Expert:  Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP® replied 7 months ago.

You may claim your son if your were the custodial parent.

Generally, the custodial parent is the parent with whom the child lived for the longer period of time during the year.


You will however have to mail your return in. The return will be processed as normal. Within a year or a little longer, both you and your child father will receive a notice from the IRS concerning the dual reporting.

If neither of you amend your taxes, the IRS will request that you provide proof that you were the custodial parent of the dependent.

Expert:  Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP® replied 7 months ago.

The IRS will determine which tax payer gets to keep their refund and which must pay it back along with interest and possible penalties. The parent that the child lived with the majority of the year will almost always win.

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!