Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I work for several temporary companies traveling and doing…

I work for several...

I work for several temporary companies traveling and doing strike security . They pay different per diem , 35. 40. 45 . Is there a federal per diem amount that I can charge off difference on taxes ? For instance 48. federal guideline minus 35 . equals 13. dollars a day charge off per day .

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

In Mississipi , but have to file in all states work usually or company state

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

My tax professional is trying to find out also , I don't want to break the law in any way .

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all thanks

3/28/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you.
Yes you are allowed to deduct the difference.
If you're an employee it will be an unreimbursed employee expense. If you are an independent contractor, it's deductable as a business expense
Let me know if you need anything else. If not please leave a rating. Thanks!
one question, what is federal guideline per diem or do I go by where taxes pd ?
THANKS , Have a great day!
It's the rate in the city you're at. See here:
https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book/per-diem-rates
Carter McBride