Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

This year I will have to pay taxes on alimony and my ex

husband will be able to...
This year I will have to pay taxes on alimony and my ex husband will be able to deduct alimony. Seeing as tax laws will change for next year, how will my situation change? He will no longer be able to deduct alimony as I understand it, so will I no longer owe taxes on that money? If not, will alimony still count as income for me?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Under the new tax law, only alimony deductions for payments made under orders executed after December 31, 2018 are fully eliminated.

For new orders of alimony, the TCJA no longer allows payors to deduct alimony payments or requires the recipient to report income for alimony received. (Payments under existing orders are grandfathered and may continue to be deducted by the payor and should be reported as income by the recipient.)

Your situation will not change.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4