Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Scenario: We rescued a momma dog in December and she birthed…

Scenario: We rescued a...

Scenario: We rescued a momma dog in December and she birthed 10 puppies. We found good homes for all except momma and 2 pups. In March we contacted a rescue that will help find homes. Since that rescue contact was made, we have had a lot of trips to vet for their health certificate, including spay/neuter, and shots. Does that mileage qualify as tax deductible since the rescue is a non profit?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Just that the rescue group was 30 minutes away from home and the trips were made back and forth for the puppies care.

3/28/2018
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If the rescue is a 501(c) non-profit then you can treat the mileage as maileage pertaining to the charitable activity as deductible. You need to keep some sort of record or log.

See page 19 here relating to out of pocket expenses:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney