Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

This is a 2015 tax question. I use Turbotax. I separated…

This is a 2015...

This is a 2015 tax question. I use Turbotax. I separated from my job in Jan of 2015. There were several buckets of money paid to me. I didn't pay attention to the W-2 form distributions of funds when I loaded the W-2 from the company, even though I loaded it correctly into Turbotax. oops. not finished.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I think I over reported the stock options. The 12c box was " V" - and the amount was $77,000., which led to being taxed for that total amount. I cashed out $40,000. of that 77k later in 2015. And I claimed that through Etrade which is where the 77k was located after I left job. Is this an double reporting?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi. I'm here. Should I wait here for the answer?
3/28/2018
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Yes.

Great Question.

Hi. If I have the interpretation right - you already were taxed on the stock options through your prior W-2. If you were and you sold the stock, you would take the amount you received and subtract the income from your W-2.

ABC Accounting Group
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you. Your response makes sense to me.
Ok.. Now let's do the math. How would I enter this on my 1040X correction form? The company transferred over to me just over $77,550. when I left in Jan. I sold $41.080. worth of the stocks between Jun-Sept. So it is in how I completed the Schedule D that should have determined the calculations? Oh dear, Schedule D is a foreign language to me. What I did was load what the Etrade 1099 indicated. That's where I should have questioned, right? oh... wait...
This is where it got confused..... When the transfer from company to Etrade happened in Jan on 2015, it was stated that "this has not been taxed". But... when the W-2 form came out in Jan 2016, that's when the tax happened. So do I start with Etrade with the change in " tax status" on the stocks? So I can load a Schd D amended form?
Phone call session started

Great to be of help. Have a great day.

Best Regards.

ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group