Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I list my 34 year old daughter as a dependent. She is my…

Can I list my...

Can I list my 34 year old daughter as a dependent. She is my qualifying person when I file as head of household. She files as head of household with her daughter as her dependent. They both reside in my home all year.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

My grandaughter is on my health insurance policy.

3/28/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - the 34 year old daughter may me your dependent if she is your qualifying relative.

I am attaching a reference to IRS publication for your convenient.

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1. The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who don't have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050.
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

So if all these tests are satisfied - she may be your dependent.

If not - you woudl not be able to claim her as a dependent.

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

I satisfy all the test except #3. Her gross income is more than 4,050.00

In this situation

- you may NOT claim your daughter as a dependent because she is not your qualifying relative.

- you still may deduct medical expenses you paid for your daughter (test #3 is not considered for medical expenses)

- if you satisfied test #4 - that means your daughter likely provided LESS than half of the household support - and she may not use HOH filing status.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor