Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am the treasurer for a non-profit dog club that has no…

Customer Question
I am the treasurer...

I am the treasurer for a non-profit dog club that has no employees but charges fees for dog training classes. We use PayPal for people to make their payment. I received a request from PayPal to obtain an EIN number in order for them to report the PayPal fees to the IRS. I got one and we are listed as a social club. How do I file a tax return for the club and what forms do I use.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

This would be for 2016 and 2017

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 24 days ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Depending on how much money the club receives dictates what form has to be filed. The 990 series of forms are used.

The 990N is what I am thinking for your club if it had income ≤ $50,000.

Here is the page with the different 990 forms and the amounts

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/form-990-series-which-forms-do-exempt-organizations-file-filing-phase-in

The prior year forms are there too.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Since I use a simple excel spreadsheet which shows the training classes income along with our dog trials income minus our expenses which is rent for both the classes and the trials is that the income or is it the gross that PayPal reported. The club does pay the fees for PayPal as well,.

The 990N calls for Gross receipts that means before expenses.

Form 990-N must be completed and filed electronically. There is no paper form.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4