Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a senior living operator that normal has a manse

I am a senior...

I am a senior living operator that normal has a manse allowance deduction for my pastor for 22,000. It was never deducted in her pay so of course it wasn't on her w2. Can we issue a 1099 misc.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Sorry the im the operator that employees a pastor

We are a senior living operator. We employee a pastor who receives a 22,000 manse allowance. For some reason it was not issued in 2017. She wants to file her taxes but this is an issue. All of our quarterly and year end reporting is done. Can we issue something like a 1099 misc using a credit. if so how do we go about filling in the boxes
3/28/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If the W2 was not correctly filed then the W2 needs to be corrected. You cannot issue a 1099MISC for this.

The housing allowance (or manse) is usually W2 in Box 14: Housing: 9000.00 [Optional...could also just include the amount of the allowance in a separate letter to the minister.

(This separate letter should not be sent to the IRS and will not be included or attached to the minister's personal tax return.)]

if we issue her a letter where on her taxes would she take the credit?

It is not really a credit. It is just not taxable for income tax but is for Self Employment tax.

She is our employee who received a w-2 showing no manse. She was taxed on 39,000 instead of 17,000. So if as you say she just doesn't include it won't the IRS match her income tax return to her w-2 income reported to them by us and notice a 17,000 variance?

The housing allowance is reported in box 14 of the W-2 and is not included in boxes 1, 3 or 5. The fair rental value of a parsonage or the housing allowance can be excluded from income only for income tax purposes.

If the W2 is showing the housing allowance in Box 1 they need a corrected W2

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Lane
Lane, JD, MBA, CFP, CRPS
Phone call session started