Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Say I moved from the US to a foreign country in October

Second opinion] Say I moved...
Second opinion] Say I moved from the US to a foreign country in October 2017, and that I'll be in that country for at least a full year (and qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion by the physical presence test).My employer is US-based but is paying me to be on assignment in this foreign country, requiring me to move that. If a portion of the pay for the foreign job is received before I move abroad, is it still potentially excludable as foreign earned income?I know all about foreign earned income, I just need guidance on this particular issue related to the date when payment was received in relation to actually being abroad. Is there precedence for taking FEIE for something like a Fulbright Scholarship? Thank you.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If your Fulbright grant is wages, because you performed lecturing or teaching services as a condition for receiving the Fulbright grant, then you should report the entire gross amount of the grant as wages on line 7 of Form 1040 – even if you never received a Form W-2 from the Fulbright agency which paid you the grant.

That makes it EARNED INCOME.

That means FEIE qualified.

I have to check on the timing of the income for the moving.

When the new place of work is in a foreign country, the moving expenses are directly connected with the income earned in that foreign country.

If all or part of the income that is earned at the new location is excluded under the FEIE or the housing exclusion, the part of moving expense that is allocable to the excluded income is not deductible.

If the amount is paid prior to the move then it can not be excluded but can be counted n that year.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4