Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Lane, Here is the situation: We had a nanny for part of the…

hi Lane,Here is the situation...
hi Lane,Here is the situation: We had a nanny for part of the year.we paid her taxes and such and even had an EIN to make it all legal. After we let her go and got all the final docs from the payroll company my wife canceled her EIN with the IRS. So now our return is getting rejected because they can not find the EIN related to my wife for the household employee.
3/28/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Check with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to update and activate your oldEmployer Identification Number (EIN) by calling(###) ###-####

...

Even after a company is dissolved, the EIN remains assigned to the original entity, just as a Social Security number is ***** the number assigned to a deceased individual.

...

The EIN never goes away. She just needs to contact them to open that tax account associated with that EIN. Some people call this RE-activating.

See this from IRS, Here:

...

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Canceling-an-EIN-Closing-Your-Account

...

"The IRS cannot cancel your EIN. Once an EIN has been assigned to a business entity, it becomes the permanent Federal taxpayer identification number for that entity. Regardless of whether the EIN is ever used to file Federal tax returns, the EIN is never reused or reassigned to another business entity. The EIN will still belong to the business entity and can be used at a later date, should the need arise."

Thank you. go ahead and close this one out so i can rate you.

You should be able to rate... Thanks

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS