Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Say I moved from the US to a foreign country in October

2017, and that I'll be...
Say I moved from the US to a foreign country in October 2017, and that I'll be in that country for at least a full year (and qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion by the physical presence test).My employer is US-based but is paying me to be on assignment in this foreign country, requiring me to move that. If a portion of the pay for the foreign job is received before I move abroad, is it still potentially excludable as foreign earned income?
3/28/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

To claim the foreign earned income exclusion, the foreign housing exclusion, or the foreign housing deduction, you must have foreign earned income, your tax home must be in a foreign country, and you must be one of the following:

• A U.S. citizen who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year,
  • A U.S. resident alien who is a citizen or national of a country with which the United States has an income tax treaty in effect and who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year, or
  • A U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien who is physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months.

To answer your specific question, the income must be EARNED in the foreign country in order to be excluded.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion-requirements

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent