Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was married last year and raising 2 of my grandchildren. I…

Customer Question
I was married last...

I was married last year and raising 2 of my grandchildren. I will be divorced next week and my husband insisted that we file separately for 2017. I didn't work in 2017. I've raised my grandchildren with no help or child support. Can I receive any earned income credit for my grandchildren? And/or do I even need to file?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

If I cannot get earned income credit for my grandchildren, can my daughter (who has worked all of 2017), the aunt to my grandchildren, claim the earned income credit for the children?

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Tax
3/28/2018
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 28 days ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to type my answer.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I have waited an hour. I want a refund immediately and cancel my subsciption right now!!

Unfortunately you do not qualify for the earned income credit. While grandchildren can be qualifying dependents, you have to have earned income in order to be able to collect any credit.

Additionally, even if you did have some earned income, if you were to file as Married, Filing Separate, the Earned Income Credit is not allowed. You cannot use this filing status when claiming the credit.

Legally, only one person can claim the children. That is the person who provided a home for the children, and where they lived for more than 6 months during the year. So if the children lived with you, you are the only one who can claim them. You cannot assign it to someone else. I know that people often do this, but the IRS is wise to this, and doing so can be construed as tax fraud, which is criminal and can be a felony.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I waited an hour to get a simple answer. Very bad service.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I would like my $5 back and cancel

I am sorry, I just saw your answer. We are not on a schedule here. We pick up questions as we are available to answer them.

I answered your question as soon as I got online.

If you would like, I can report this to Customer SErvice and request a refund.

taxmanrog
taxmanrog