Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

After 38 abusive years of marriage and over 2 year divorce…

Customer Question
After 38 abusive years...

After 38 abusive years of marriage and over 2 year divorce process I will be receiving 1/4 of my husbands disability payments. I have asked for it to be non modifiable and non taxable because it makes a difference on filing income taxes of $1,300. I am disabled and can not work. Also I DO NOT WANT MY HUSBAND TO KNOW WHEREI LIVE OR PHONE NUMBER ETC! My attorney will not stand up for me on these issues. Help!

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes and it is finally coming to an end. I want the USSO NOT to have the box checked for change notification in 21 days. Also he does not pay taxes on his disability, I don't want to either. What are my options?

Accountant's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Michigan

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That will do for now, thank you

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 day by:
3/29/2018
Tax Professional: Josie-Mod,
 replied 25 days ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I will wait. The divorce has gone on for over 3 years, waiting a couple days isn't a big deal!
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 24 days ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Disability pay is not usually taxable to the recipient, but it will depend on your other income, if any.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
My soon to be ex receives disability, I only receive spousal support from him. That spousal support is taxed. How do I get the court to make it nontaxable? Also I DO NOT want my ex to know ANYTHING about where I move or phone number etc. How do I get the court to change that on the USSO?

The court has nothing to do with making any income non-taxable. Those rules are set by the IRS.

The tax reform that was passed in December, 2017 makes alimony non-taxable income to the recipient if the divorce is put in place after December 31, 2018.

As far as your ex knowing anything about where you live, phone number, etc., that is a separate issue unrelated to taxes.

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 23 days ago

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent