Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have minor children receiving disability income from my…

Customer Question
I have minor children...

I have minor children receiving disability income from my permanent disability. is that taxable to them? one is 2 years old

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

During childbirth, i sustained a stroke which has left me totally disabled. my 3 children are receiving a 1099R from the state showing taxable income - can that be true?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Do i have to file tax returns for my 2 year old?

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Tax
3/27/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 26 days ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

In most cases, you must report as income any amount you receive for personal injury or sickness through an accident or health plan that is paid for by your employer.

If both you and your employer pay for the plan, only the amount you receive that is due to your employer's payments is reported as income.

Seems as in your situation that is disability benefits for which you did not pay premiums - and because of that benefits are taxable.

The are taxable as well when paid to your dependents.

The taxable amount is reported on form 1099R - box 2a.

If that amount is more than $1,050 in 2017 - the child will be required to file - and may have some tax liability.

But verify if any taxes were withheld and reported ion box 4?

The child still may be your dependent and you as a parent will need to file the tax return fro the minor.

Please be aware - if form 1099R is issued to the child - do NOT include that amount into your tax return.

Let me know if you need any help.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 23 days ago

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor