Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just realized I made a $200 error (not in my favor) on our…

I just realized I...

I just realized I made a $200 error (not in my favor) on our joint return taxes. I ve already received my refund. This error would cause me to owe about $50 Is that worth it to file an amended return?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

It was a simple error in entry

3/27/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks. To be specific, my husband & I both received the annual "Alaska Permanent Fund" dividend in 2017 - we each received a 1099-MISC for $1100. I mis-typed on Turbo Tax & entered it for both of us as only $1000.

Yes it is. The IRS would not take into account all the specifics of the situation should it fall to them to correct. They may also have 3 years to correct would mean a penalty and interest for you on top of the small amount now.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you

You are most welcome.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4