Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In 2017 i donated about $10,000 to a sinagogue in my town…

Customer Question
Hi, in 2017 i...

Hi, in 2017 i donated about $10,000 to a sinagogue in my town for which I have a receipt.But , I have completed 2017 return without using itemised deductions (schedule A). However, now in 2018 I would like to sell some appreciated stocks which will create taxable income in the next year. How can I carry forward this charitabe donation?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No, I don't know.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/27/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

We may ONLY carry forward disallowed charitable contributions.

Otherwise charitable contributions must be deducted on the tax return for the year in which they were made.

In your situation - you need to amend your 2017 tax return - and add that donation on schedule A.

Let me know if you need help with reporting.

Thank Lev! I want to continue to report to the IRS of my gift of securities to a synagogue in 2017. This will let me do a CARRY OVER of the donation to next year 2018.
Lev, I meant CARRY FORWARD and not carry over. I made a mistake dealing with TURBOTAX instead of going to a CPA.
Lev, I don't know why TURBOTAX filed my 2017 Federal and State taxes without me saying OK? Now I'll need to amend it.
Lev, now wonder you use this name because it translates to HEART in Hebrew, meaning that you have a good one.

Please be aware that you may not just choose to carry forward charitable contributions.

You may ONLY carry forward disallowed contributions - that are above teh limit for the current tax year..

Yes - I know that meaning but it is just a coincidence.