Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My company shifted our 401K funds from one company to

Hello! My company...

Hello! My company shifted our 401K funds from one company to another in 2017. I received a 1099 from the company the funds were transferred from, which surprised me. Is this reported and do I request a form to document that the funds were 100% rolled over into the new fund?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

What code is shown on the 1099R?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I am at the office and, unfortunately, that is at home

Ok, you find that out and hit me tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
no thank you. I do not have the 1099 with me so it will likely not be productive. Is it normal to receive a 1099 for a rollover and is there a form I should have from the new 401K?

It is normal to receive for a rollover yes . The code would be G

Any call offer is site generated, just ignore it.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
if it is a form G, I report it and the IRS realizes it is not actual income?

That is correct

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you. It likely is a form G. You have been very helpful. Have a great day

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
you got it.

Thank you

Please follow up if you need to when you have the doc in hand.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4