Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Form 8962 Can you allocate policy amounts with someone that…

Form 8962Can you allocate policy...
Form 8962Can you allocate policy amounts with someone that is not on the policy? for example if another taxpayer paid for the premiums but they are not actually listed on the policy.
3/27/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

According to instructions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8962.pdf

If an individual in your tax family was enrolled in a policy with an individual in another tax family and you are not taking the PTC, the taxpayer who is claiming the individual not in your tax family may agree to reconcile all APTC paid for the policy.

.

Allocating policy amounts.

You need to allocate policy amounts (enrollment premiums, SLCSP premiums, and/or APTC) on a Form 1095-A between your tax family and another tax family if:
1. The policy covered at least one individual in your tax family and at least one individual in another tax family, and
2. Either:
a. You received a Form 1095-A for the policy that does not accurately represent the members of your tax family who were enrolled in the policy (meaning that it either lists someone who is not in your tax family or does not list a member of your tax family who was enrolled in the policy), or
b. The other tax family received a Form 1095-A for the policy that includes a member of your tax family
.

In all other situations - there is no allocations.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
is the answer no?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Sorry still not clear

Correct - we may not allocate policy amounts to the person who is not listed on this policy.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I didn't think so but wanted to make sure. ok great, thank you.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor