Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My neighbor lives in PA and works in NJ. His employer

Customer Question
withholds NJ income tax. He...
My neighbor lives in PA and works in NJ. His employer withholds NJ income tax. He went to H&R Block last year to have his taxes done and they got his NJ withholding sent directly to PA. How do I do that?
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Tax
3/27/2018
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 28 days ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out with this.

They shouldn't have been able to get the withholding sent directly to PA, but you can set it up so in the future you are withholding properly under the reciprocity agreement between NJ and PA.

To stop the withholding of New Jersey Income Tax, complete an Employee's Certificate of Nonresidence in New Jersey (Form NJ-165, available here: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/nj165.pdf) and give it to your employer.

That will allow you to file a PA return and not need to file a NJ non-resident return.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
You gave me the same answer that my accountant gave me.My neighbor says that H&R Block has an "expert", just one person there, who can get NJ to send withholding to PA. He had it done last year. How can they do it and no one else can?

I'll opt out to see if anyone else has anything on this. However, that's just not something that happens. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding on what actually occurred and he was referencing changing the withholding based on the reciprocity agreement.

Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 28 days ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

The first expert and your own accountant are correct and this neighbor needs to do that if they are going to continue working in NJ while living in PA.

A Pennsylvania resident can receive a credit for income tax, wage tax or other tax (measured by gross or net earned or unearned income) paid to another state (NJ) when the other state imposes its tax on income also subject to PA personal income tax in the same taxable year.

The tax withholding is not sent to PA. A credit is claimed on the PA return showing the taxes withheld.

If that office has only one person that can accomplish that then that is bad.

You complete the PA Schedule G-L Resident Credit for Taxes Paid and show the amount and PA counts that as a payment ON THE PA RETURN.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4