Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I paid for a term care insurance policy with an IRA. The…

Customer Question
I paid for a...

I paid for a long term care insurance policy with an IRA. The withdraw $9K from the IRA each year to pay for the policy. I pay taxes on the IRA withdrawal. Should I be counting the $9K as insurance premiums as well.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I am filing as self-employed and am 67 years old.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/27/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 3 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

---------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

In brief, it doesn't matter that the funds come from your IRA, you are still paying the premium and should be counted as insurance premiums. You can add this amount to other medical expenses you, your spouse and dependents have for the year. You can deduct medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your AGI.

-------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.