Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

A CLIENT OF MINE IS A FARMER WITH CATTLE. PURCHASED ABOUT…

A CLIENT OF MINE IS...
A CLIENT OF MINE IS A FARMER WITH CATTLE. PURCHASED ABOUT $94,000 IN CATTLE FOR 2017, AND SOLD ABOUT $36501. IS THE BEST WAY TO HANDLE IT, A LOSS ON SCH F OR PRORATE THE PURCHASE THE CATTLE OR 3 YEARS, THEY ARE NOT FOR BREEDING. HE IS A CASH BASIS FARMER.
3/27/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

We need to verify - the cattle was purchased with resale purposes - that is accounted as inventory.

But if the cattle is held for production of income - that is business asset and may be depreciated.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
THE CATTLE ARE FEEDER CALVES, TO BE FED AND SOLD.

So - these are basically inventory...

The farmer may choose not to keep inventory - but it might be much clear to account for inventory.

If so - we will have COGS - schedule F - lines 45 - 49.

What are you trying to achieve?

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
WE DIDN'T WANT SUCH A LOSS ON THIS YEAR'S TAXES AND THEN SHOW SUCH A GAIN NEXT YEAR. SO INVENTORY, IT IS. THANKS LEV. CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON YOU
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
HOW CAN I PUT THE CATTLE PURCHASED IN INVENTORY FOR THIS CASH BASIS FARMER?

In generally - we use accrual method for inventory.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
WOULDN'T WE HAVE TO GET THE METHOD CHANGED THROUGH THE IRS FOR THIS.

If the farmer specifically selected cash method for inventory - it might not worth to change.

But generally inventories are accounted differently and using accrual method.

If however cash method for inventory was their choice - that will be large loss for this tax year.

In this case you may do income averaging specifically allowed fro farmers.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor