Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

A CLIENT OF MINE IS A FARMER WITH CATTLE. PURCHASED ABOUT…

A CLIENT OF MINE IS...
A CLIENT OF MINE IS A FARMER WITH CATTLE. PURCHASED ABOUT $94,000 IN CATTLE FOR 2017, AND SOLD ABOUT $36501. IS THE BEST WAY TO HANDLE IT, A LOSS ON SCH F OR PRORATE THE PURCHASE THE CATTLE OR 3 YEARS, THEY ARE NOT FOR BREEDING. HE IS A CASH BASIS FARMER.
3/27/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

We need to verify - the cattle was purchased with resale purposes - that is accounted as inventory.

But if the cattle is held for production of income - that is business asset and may be depreciated.

THE CATTLE ARE FEEDER CALVES, TO BE FED AND SOLD.

So - these are basically inventory...

The farmer may choose not to keep inventory - but it might be much clear to account for inventory.

If so - we will have COGS - schedule F - lines 45 - 49.

What are you trying to achieve?

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
WE DIDN'T WANT SUCH A LOSS ON THIS YEAR'S TAXES AND THEN SHOW SUCH A GAIN NEXT YEAR. SO INVENTORY, IT IS. THANKS LEV. CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON YOU
HOW CAN I PUT THE CATTLE PURCHASED IN INVENTORY FOR THIS CASH BASIS FARMER?

In generally - we use accrual method for inventory.

WOULDN'T WE HAVE TO GET THE METHOD CHANGED THROUGH THE IRS FOR THIS.

If the farmer specifically selected cash method for inventory - it might not worth to change.

But generally inventories are accounted differently and using accrual method.

If however cash method for inventory was their choice - that will be large loss for this tax year.

In this case you may do income averaging specifically allowed fro farmers.