Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have just completed my tax returns for 2017 and have been…

I have just completed...

I have just completed my tax returns for 2017 and have been advised to have some taxes taken from my social security pension in order to prevent paying taxes next year. How would one go about knowing how much to have taken out for that purpose?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Yes, my husband and I file a joint return.

3/27/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Depending on the amount you owed, you would determine the percentage that is best for you.

Social Security will withhold either 7%, 10%, 12%, or 22% from your Social Security Benefits.

You would have to complete Form W-4V. Here is the form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4v.pdf

Once you complete it, you will mail it or deliver it in person to your local Social Security office.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You!

My pleasure.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent