Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife is a US citizen and owns a house in Thailand where…

Customer Question
My wife is a...

My wife is a US citizen and owns a house in Thailand where her mother lives. My wife lives in Fla. if she sells the home will there be a capital gains tax and at what rate

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Not much more to tell

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
3/27/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

She will need to report the sale. The gain on the sale is the part that is taxable.

Gain is the difference in cost plus improvements and the sale price less cost to sale. The tax rate is determined by the total income in the year of the sale. It could be 0% to 20%, depending on your tax bracket.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

is the amount of gain included in income to determine tax bracket ? any exclusion amount

Yes it is. No exclusion on a home that is not your main home unfortunately.