Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question about filing rental property depreciation?

I have a question...

I have a question about filing rental property depreciation? I owned a rental property and recently had to sell it but I had to spend an awful lot of money before the sale? How do I report this on schedule A for reduction of my capital gains?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Good morning Pearl I just typed the message. Can you see it please?

3/27/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

OK - I will wait on your response, Chad

If the property was a rental property you would report the information on Schedule E Supplemental Income and Loss (From rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, estates, trusts, REMICs, etc.), not schedule A

Please let me know your follow up questions.

Thank you

if I spent a lot of money to build back the property before selling it can I depreciate in a one time amount rather than spread it over a number of years as I will not being owning it again?
Did you get my question?
Are you there chad?

Improvements are capitalized and depreciated generally over the life of the building or if in the example of a refrigerator

Yes, I am here. I am typing your response

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Phone call session started