Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I took $35,000 from a 401k, (retirement savings and

Hello, i took $35,000...

Hello, i took $35,000 from a 401k, (retirement savings and investment plan at my employer) 10,500 federal tax withheld.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What for would i use to submit this?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No i haven't done anything differently from previous years other than that..

3/27/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You report that distribution on your 1040 form line 16a and 16b. The tax withheld will go on line 64. You should have received a 1099R that shows the distribution and tax withheld.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

oh one more thing, i moved $150,000 from my 401k into another retirement fund

That is not taxable as long as it was moved to another tax deferred account (like an IRA).

Unless you received a 1099R reporting that $150,000 you need not report that.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
okay, thanks

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.