Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In 2017 paid $4000 in federal tax which was due from an

Customer Question
In 2017 paid $4000...

In 2017 paid $4000 in federal tax which was due from an error I reported on my 2016 federal taxes. Can I claim the $4000 tax on my 2018 taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I'm filing my 2018 taxes and I'm asking if the $4000 that I under paid on my 2016 taxes which I paid in 2017 can be credited to my 2018 taxes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
3/27/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

$4000 in federal tax you paid FOR 2016 tax year may NOT be deducted on your federal tax return.

On your state return - depending on your state - you might be allowed to deduct that payment for state tax purposes.

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Does the state of Indiana allow the deduction?

See here a list of allowable deductions for Indiana

https://secure.in.gov/dor/3799.htm

Unfortunately - there is no deduction for federal income taxes in Indiana.

Sorry if you expected differently.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.