Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How is gain or loss treated on sale of equity membership in…

Customer Question
How is gain or...

How is gain or loss treated on sale of equity membership in golf club

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

3-1-1995 purchased membership for $18,000 assed $10050 total cost $28,050 8/16/2017 sold for $23,000 less transfer fee $8,000 net loss $13,050 is this a loss for federal tax purposes?

Accountant's Assistant: That depends on how many expert areas you want to subscribe to and how many questions a month you want to ask.

None

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/27/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

I believe that is personal use asset - not your business or investment property.

If so - we may not deduct the loss and may not use it to offset other capital gain.

See here

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/262

(a) General rule

Except as otherwise expressly provided in this chapter, no deduction shall be allowed for personal, living, or family expenses.

.

So far - no deduction will be allowed for any personal assets.

Sorry if you expected differently?

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.