Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm an officer in a 501c3 that works with feral cats. I've…

I'm an officer in...

I'm an officer in a 501c3 that works with feral cats. I've allowed a small enclosure to be constructed on my property that serves as a sanctuary/home for approximately 138 cats that are property of the rescue. I have lost the use of this portion of my property for personal use. Can any of the value of this property be used as a tax deduction?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I don't think so

3/27/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Unfortunately, IRS rules don’t allow a charitable deduction for a contribution of less than your entire interest in property. The IRS says that a contribution of the right to use property is a contribution of less than your entire interest in that property and is not deductible.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.
https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-526

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4