Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

The sale of a business - how would you list it and how do…

Customer Question
The sale of a business...
The sale of a business - how would you list it and how do you determine what would be considered income if any?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/27/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The sale of a business usually is not a sale of one asset. Instead, all the assets of the business are sold. Generally, when this occurs, each asset is treated as being sold separately for determining the treatment of gain or loss.

The buyer and seller should each attach Form 8594 -

to their federal income tax returns for the year in which the sale occurred.
They will list all assets and allocate the price to each asset.

.

The seller will report teh sale of each separate asset - and depending on unrecoverable basis, will calculate the gain - separately for each asset.

and after that will combine all gains and all losses realized on separate assets.

That will be realized gain on teh sale of teh entire business.

if the value the sale is based on assets - either tangible or intangible - the value is somewhat subjective - how would you truly determine net gain or loss either - for the seller who will report the income as profit or loss or the buyer who would like to deduct that cost of doing business?

The allocation between assets is based on the agreement between the buyer and the seller.

That is partially the purpose of form 8594 to represent that allocation.

The total sale price is also subjective and based on the agreement.

Whatever - both - the buyer and the seller - agreed - that will be considered true fair market value of the business and for each specified asset included into that sale.

You may order an apprasal if you want to have a professional opinion before negotiating.

The buyer will start depreciation/amortization of these assets based on allocation from form 8594.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues