Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My adult son (turned 26 in 2017) was diagnosed this year…

My adult son (turned...

My adult son (turned 26 in 2017) was diagnosed this year with serious mental illness. He spent several months in hospital, followed by supervised living, then intensive outpatient. Can I claim the medical expenses we paid for him? He does not have a job and did not earn any money. Doctor wrote a note, and he has been extended on our medical insurance as a dependent. Read the IRS guidelines - not sure what qualifies as "permanently and totally disabled"

3/27/2018
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Hello:

I am sorry that you are having this struggle. I can not imagine how difficult this must be for you.

IF you are eligible to claim your son as a dependent you may deduct medical expenses paid for him.

When you itemize your deductions for a taxable year on Form 1040, Schedule A.pdf, Itemized Deductions, you deduct expenses you paid for medical and dental care for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. This is recorded on Form 1040, Schedule A.

In regard to medical expense deductions the expenses must exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross inome.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

To be clear your son is a dependent if you provided "over one-half of the individual’s support for the calendar year in which such taxable year begins" AND he was not declared as a dependent on someone else's return. If you meet this test the disability question does not come into play.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I was confused by the term "permanently and totally". There is a chance that he will be able to get back to functioning after some period of time. You seem to be suggesting that for now, because the doctor wrote him a note that he is a medical dependent, that he is totally disabled. If that changes later, that's ok. We just wouldn't be able to deduct expenses any more (and we wouldn't have them to worry about!). Also - for 3 months, he was in a supervised transitional living program. Is that deductible (it's $10k/month). And he is not in intensive outpatient. Is all of that deductible ($20K/month), or only the portion of it that is submitted to insurance.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I see a typo - he is now in intensive outpatient (I typed not in intensive outpatient)
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Also - the transitional living at $10K/month could not be submitted to health insurance

If you are providing more than 50% of his support he is your dependent - the disability notwithstanding. So you can claim the deduction in that instance. Even if he recovers somewhat if you are still supporting him he is still your dependent..

The fact that hwe was not living wiith you for three months does NOT affect this.

You can deduct the out of pocket expenses and any insurance premiums. You can not deduct what insurance covers.

See:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/152

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
In terms of the support - we provided 100%. But IRS Publication 502 seems to imply that he has to be younger than 24 or permanently and totally disabled.

You want to look at sections (d)(1)(C) and (d)(2) for the dependency test.

If you are confused about some of this and wish to discuss this we can. I have submitted Highly Discounted BUT OPTIONAL offer to you for a premium service phone call so that we can discuss your concerns more easily. It is purely optional and I do not want you to spend extra money if it is not necessary. We can continue to post at no additional charge.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you Please enter your contact information where indicated.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
sent you the phone information - are you available to chat?

I need your number to call.

Calling now

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney