Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son applied to several Dental Schools and the fees

Customer Question
My son applied to...

My son applied to several Dental Schools and the fees totaled $3000. are any of them tax deductable on his taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

He has two BS degrees, is employed by Ohio State as a research assistant but wants to go to dental School, so at age 25 applied to a bunch of dental schools at a cost total of $3000 inn application fees. last year his income was only $22,000

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

He files as an independant, I cannot claim him as a dependant

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, he would only be able to deduct the application fees if they are directly related to or required by the current job that he has.

Additionally, the application fees would have to be itemized on Schedule A and larger than the standard deduction, which for 2017, is $6,350.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 29 days ago

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent