Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My only income is Social Security. Do I need to file taxes…

Customer Question
My only income is...

My only income is Social Security. Do I need to file taxes on this?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Not much more to say. Earn about $14,000 SS and was wondering if I need to file taxes on it.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 3 months ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good evening. You do not. SS income is not subject to tax unless you exceed certain amounts in other income. Since SS income is your only source of income, you owe no tax and thus have no obligation to file a tax return. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!