Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I filed my sons return but I didn't put him down that he…

I filed my sons return...
I filed my sons return but I didn't put him down that he could be a dependent on my return. My sons return has already been accepted. I tired to file mine and my wife's return (joint return) but it tells me that I can not use my sons SSN because I didn't put down that he could be a dependent on someone elses return (mine). The question that asks if he could be a dependent on another return I didn't check that box. If I don't claim he it is going to cost me 2074 dollars. How can I fix this in a hurry please?
3/27/2018
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

First, your son will need to amend his return and filing status by preparing a 1040X. I have placed a link below to the 1040X

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

"When to amend a return. You should file an amended return if you need to correct your filing status, number of dependents, total income, tax deductions or tax credits. T"

___

You will have to print and file your return as normal but you will not be able to efile the return.

Remember that when you mail a return, you need to include copies of your W-2, etc. with your return.

___

Mailing the return is the quickest solution to this issue.

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®