Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If my child's grandparents paid for college books and

Customer Question
If my child's grandparents...

If my child's grandparents paid for college books and supplies can I claim those as deductions from my taxes since she is my dependent or do the grandparents?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Did you see my question above?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

The grandparents paid for college books and supplies from the 529 they set up for my child.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/26/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The first step to verify if the child is your dependent

I am attaching basic rules and tests for determination.

If the child is YOUR dependent - you may use any educational expenses for calculating the credit - regardless who paid these expenses.

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor