Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Tax Question Child is going overseas to college. They accept…

Tax Question Child is going overseas...
Tax Question
Child is going overseas to college. They accept 529, but won't issue a 1098-T. How do I show expenses on the tax return? What do I use? Please provide IRS references.
3/27/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

See page 9

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Form 1098-T requirement.

To be eligible to claim the American opportunity credit, the law requires a taxpayer (or a dependent) to have received Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, from an eligible educational institution.
However, for tax year 2017, a taxpayer may claim the credit if the student doesn't receive a Form 1098-T be-cause the student's educational institution isn't required to send a Form 1098-T to the student under existing rules (for example, if the student is a nonresident alien, has qualified education expenses paid entirely with scholar-ships, has qualified education expenses paid under a for-mal billing arrangement, or is enrolled in courses for which no academic credit is awarded).
If a student's educational institution isn't required to provide a Form 1098-T to the student, a taxpayer may claim the credit without a Form 1098-T if the taxpayer otherwise qualifies, can demonstrate that the taxpayer (or a dependent) was enrolled at an eligible educational institution, and can substantiate the payment of qualified tuition and related expenses.

.

page 13

Eligible educational institution. An eligible educational institution is generally any accredited public, nonprofit, or proprietary (privately owned profit-making) college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution. Also, the institution must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education.

The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution.

.

Let me know if that helps.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Taxpayer might make too much for the credit. Just wanted to make sure he can use the 529 to pay for the expenses.

For 529 plan purposes -

see page 50

Eligible postsecondary school. An eligible postsecondary school is generally any accredited public, nonprofit, or proprietary (privately owned profit-making) college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution. Also, the institution must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education.

An eligible educational institution also includes certain educational institutions located outside the United States that are eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education.

So far - the SAME requirement.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor