Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In California, age 66, soc security income $24k annual, sold…

In California, age 66...

In California, age 66, soc security income $24k annual, sold housed curious about Cap Gains Tax: Sold house for $500k, at time of death house value $500k, was in husbands name only at time of death, went iinto Trust for his Estate, will I pay much Cap Gains, thankyu

3/26/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good evening. There will be no capital gains. The basis of the property would have been adjusted automatically to its fair market value at the time of death. So, then when you sold it for that fair market value, there would be no gain ($500k less $500k = $0) and thus no capital gain tax.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!! Much appreciate your help. Regards, Linda

You're very welcome! ! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!

Richard, Tax Attorney