Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How far back can she file amended returns?

Ok! How far back can...
Ok! How far back can she file amended returns?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

You are able to amend a return as far back as you would like, but to claim a refund, you generally must file Form 1040X within three years from the date you filed your original tax return or within two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Processing time.

The general processing time for amended returns is 8 to 12 weeks.

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®

Below is a link to IRS.Gov which covers ten common facts about amending your tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/ten-facts-on-filing-an-amended-tax-return

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Thank you for the rating.

Please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day