Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife and I filed together and we owe some money.. about…

Hi Barbara,My wife and I...
Hi Barbara,My wife and I filed together and we owe some money.. about $6000. I'd like to make payments instead of all at once. What form would I need to fill out? Any idea? Also, can you make payments for just federal taxes or state as well?
3/26/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for requesting me.

You can request a payment plan from the IRS and CA. I would suggest waiting until your returns have been processed by the IRS and CA before requesting a payment plan.

As to IRS,

You can apply online: https://www.irs.gov/payments/online-payment-agreement-application

Or use Form 9465: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f9465.pdf

More to follow regarding CA.....

Awesome... how do you know when they have been "processed". That were filed and accepted today.

You can apply online, by phone, or mail with CA.

See the following: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/online/eia/index.asp

Are you planning to pay any of it by April 17, 2018?

Possibly... if it makes a difference I would.

It doesn't make a difference at all.

Okay, then probably after

You can either wait about a week and apply for a payment plan with the IRS and CA

OR

You can wait until the IRS sends you a letter AFTER 4/17/18 telling you how much you owe. Then you can call the number on the letter and request a payment plan.

You will follow the same procedure for CA.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Ahh... okay perfect. Thank you sooooooo much again.

Always a pleasure....

Thank YOU for the positive rating and VERY GENEROUS BONUS! Both are very much appreciated.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need any help when you get ready to request the payment plans.

If you celebrate it, have a Happy Easter!