Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Doing tax for cousin. She has son who lives out of state. He…

Doing tax for cousin...

Doing tax for cousin. She has son who lives out of state. He has two children and no income. His wife gets about 600 disability. Cousin is sou

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Soul provider. Can she claim them as dependent

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

For various reason son can't find work. Cousin has supported him for years

3/26/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

To claim as dependents - yes - there are relatives who doesn't have to live with the taxpayer to be dependents.

See page 20

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Relatives who don't have to live with you.

A person related to you in any of the following ways doesn't have to live with you all year as a member of your household to meet this test.
Your child, stepchild, foster child, or a de-scendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild). (A legally adopted child is considered your child.)
Your brother, sister, half brother, half sis-ter, stepbrother, or stepsister.
Your father, mother, grandparent, or other direct ancestor, but not foster parent.
Your stepfather or stepmother.
A son or daughter of your brother or sister.
A son or daughter of your half brother or half sister.
A brother or sister of your father or mother.

.

But as you see on the attached requirements to be your dependent - children will NOT be qualifying children as do not live with the taxpayer - and may only be qualifying dependents.

That means - your cousin will not be eligible to use children for earned income credit or for child tax credit purposes.

Let me know if that helps.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
she can claim them as regular dependents. Can she claim the daughter in law also?

As Qualifying relatives - yes - she will be able to claim ALL - as long as she provided more than a half of their support.

- Your son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law.

Any of these relationships allows to claim the person as a dependent ever they do not live with the taxpayer.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor