Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband has worked on the island of Kwajalein Atoll in…

My husband has worked...

My husband has worked on the island of Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands from August 5th, 2015 until February 28, 2018. For the year 2015 we reported his year for tax exempt started on August 5th. He was there continuously until he returned home to Alabama on March 1st. Should we file this year saying that the year started on March 1st so that when we file 2018 taxes the year will fall inline with his dates of coming home and the months of January and February 2018 will still be tax exempt?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

How long before we will receive an answer?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Thank you

You will want to count the 12 months as Feb 2017 to Feb 2018 so you have the full 12 months in and then the 2018 exclusion is prorated based on the actual days in 2018 that your husband was outside the US. You may not be able to exclude all in 2018 as that depends on how much he earned and how much of the exclusion is allowed.

do I need to state my 2017 year as started on March 1st to cover this issue?

Your 12 months for 2017 will not make a difference. Your 12 months for 2017 can still be Jan to Dec of 2017.

Ok, so I only do 2018 as starting on March 1st 2017 to February 28th, 2018?

That is correct

Thank you so much!

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4