Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

As a grandparent, I had a 529 for my grandchild. He received…

Customer Question
As a grandparent, I...

As a grandparent, I had a 529 for my grandchild. He received a full scholarship. I closed the account. Am I subject to the 10% penalty ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else do you need to know ?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I know I have to pay tax on the earnings, But 10% penalty also ?????

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
3/26/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-----------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

SEE BELOW:

You can withdraw money from a 529 up to the amount of a tax-free scholarship without paying the 10% penalty. You still have to pay income taxes on earnings, but contributions can always be withdrawn tax- and penalty-fee.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/college/T002-C001-S001-the-529-plan-scholarship-exception.html

-----------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Penalty Exceptions

In certain circumstances, you can take a non-qualified distribution without owing the 10 percent additional tax penalty, though you will still owe income taxes on the earnings. For example, if you inherit the 529 plan and receive the distributions as the beneficiary, you don't owe the 10 percent penalty. You also don't owe the penalty if you are permanently disabled or if the distributions were taxable because you received a tax-free scholarship or attended a U.S. military academy.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://finance.zacks.com/penalty-withdrawing-529-plan-1789.html