Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband had an account with Vanguard that we closed out…

My husband had an...

My husband had an account with Vanguard that we closed out in 2017. We need the tax papers to file our taxes. I called vanguard and they can not find that he had an account. We called them 3 times and get the same answer. What can we do?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No. I don't think so.

3/26/2018
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

There can be a number of reasons your phone call didn't get the response you wanted. For example, they aren't allowed to give you information about your husband's accounts (privacy laws). He could try and call.

Or, look in last year's tax papers for a copy of their statement, with the account number.

Or, go to IRS.gov and request a tax transcript online. You can get a wage and income transcript that will have all the information they reported to IRS (your 1099) online. It only takes a few minutes to get, too. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript is the web address.

I hope that helps. Positive feedback is appreciated, five stars being best, ***** ***** I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax
PDtax