Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son drove for Uber in January of 2017. He only netted…

My son drove for...

My son drove for Uber in January of 2017. He only netted $229.00. He has not been issued a 1099 Misc or 1099K like was issued in 2016 (worked all year in 2016). He is now living out of the country. He should not need to file a Tax Return, but he file and received an OIC in 2014 and wants to know if that means he needs to file even though he only made $229.

3/26/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
thanks, ***** ***** i see your response

No, at that level he is below what's called the filing threshold.

...

He would only need to file if there were and TAXABLE income. And for that to happen his income would need to be more than the standard deduction (6350 in 2017) PLUS the personal exemption (4050 in 2017).

...

At $229 he's WELL below that threshold. The requirement that he file and pay timely for the following five years applies only to amounts that would require him TO file a return.

...

Based on what you've said, he has no filing requirement at all here

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

...

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS