Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can you provide me with a tax attorney (I assume that is who…

Customer Question
Can you provide me...

Can you provide me with a tax attorney (I assume that is who I need) to address what I believe is a crime committed by another person and a CPA>? In short, I'm a disabled 55 year old woman who in 2016 was staying with a man who claimed to "love and care for" me. I had a major surgery approximately 8 weeks prior to this man writing out the checks to the IRS that the CPA said I owed and had me sign. I was obviously not completely lucid and you can see that from my signature on the 2 checks. The CPA refused to speak with me re my taxes and this resulted in me paying close to 3k. I haven't had any income in 2014 and 2015. In 2016 I was declared disabled and this man was supposedly helping me. My current CPA is going to amend my return but I want to gather my resources in the meantime. Can you give me names of attorneys to handle this?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

She knows everything and advised me to contact an attorney to go after the accounting firm and this person as they broke federal and state tax laws. What is your opinion?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/26/2018
Tax Professional: Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney replied 3 months ago
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney

You would probably want to contact the state bar in your state. What state are you in? They may have a pro bono program in your state.

I’m in IL
Can you provide me with their contact info? Do you have any idea if this is something that I can pursue litigation on?

Here is the contact number:

https://www.isba.org/contact

You probably want to contact an Illinois lawyer. You could make a contact the illinois Board of CPAs if you think he did something wrong. Does your current CPA think he was negligent or violated some professional rules?

Here is some info on pro bono programs:

http://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/about/probono.html

You may also want the contact the attorney general. They may be able to help too.

Here is some more info:

http://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/index.html

If you think I answered your question, then please accept my answer. Otherwise, please reply.

Here is some more info on filing a complaint:

https://www.icpas.org/information/ethics/complaint-procedures/how-to-file-a-complaint

If you think I answered your question, then please accept my answers. Otherwise, please reply. Thank you.