Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question my tax person passed away, and i am trying…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question my tax person passed away, and i am trying to find a new one. I called one and asked if I could write off a trip to my condo in Florida which i have done for many years, she told me know. Can i write off this trip?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
3/26/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Why are you taking the trip?

to check and stay on my property for the newest updates.
to check and stay at my property

You can deduct the ordinary and necessary expenses of traveling away from home if the primary purpose of the trip is to collect rental income or to manage, conserve, or maintain your rental property.

You must properly allocate your expenses between rental and nonrental activities.

You can’t deduct the cost of traveling away from home if the primary purpose of the trip is to improve the property. The cost of improvements is recovered by taking depreciation.

That last part you said "to stay on my property" sounds personal so you would need to log what days you are there for you and what days are for the time of rental.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Did that address your concern? Please post below