Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold in 2017 a property that was gifted with a life estate…

Customer Question
I sold in 2017...

I sold in 2017 a property that was gifted with a life estate in 2001 for $83,000. the appraised amount was for $96,000 and assessment was for $112,000..my total income in 2017 was $35,200. what if any capital gains am I responsible for?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Not that I am aware of at this point.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Tax
3/26/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 26 days ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

Are you the remainderman or the life tenant.

...

Also was the property sold AFTER the life tenant passed or was the life tenant still living

...

(Need to know that to answer the question), Thanks

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS